Al Pastor BBQ Sauce
- 2 Whole dried ancho chilies
- 2 Whole dried New Mexico chilies
- 1/2 cup Renwood California Zinfandel
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Medium white onion, chopped
- 1 Clove of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp Ground cloves
- 1 tbsp Achiote powder
- 1 Chipotle chili packed in adobo sauce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 cup Fresh pineapple cubed
- 6 ozs Canned or fresh pineapple juice
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 3/4 cup Light brown sugar (start with 1⁄2 cup and taste for sweetness)
- 2 tsps Salt
- 1/4 cup White vinegar
1. Place dried ancho and New Mexico chilies in a large saucepan over medium high heat and cook, turning chilies occasionally, until pliable about 5 minutes. Add wine, bring to a boil then pour saucepan contents into a small bowl covered. After 5 minutes, remove seeds and stems from the chilies into the bowl and strain the liquid. Discard strained stems and seeds. Set chilies and strained liquid aside.
2. Wipe out saucepan, add olive oil and onions and cook on medium high heat until translucent. Add garlic, oregano, cumin, cloves, and achiote powder and cook, stirring frequently about 1 minute. Add chipotle, tomato, and reserved chilies cooking on low for 2 minutes. Add reserved liquid and cook until slightly thickened.
3. Scrape contents of the saucepan into a blender along with cubed pineapple and pineapple juice. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
4. Wipe out saucepan, add blender contents, ketchup, brown sugar, salt, and vinegar. Cook on medium/low heat for 30 minutes. If the sauce starts to splatter, reduce the heat. 5. Allow the sauce to cool or refrigerate until ready to use.
1. Marinate 1 inch cubed chicken in the Al Pastor BBQ Sauce at least 2 hours or overnight. Soak bamboo skewers in water for at least 1-2 hours. Cut fresh pineapple into 1⁄2 inch slices. Cut onion into wedges.
2. Thread onion and chicken cubes through soaked skewers.
3. Grill pineapple and onion on both sides to your preferred doneness. Grill chicken skewers on both sides until proper temperature is reached. You can also baste more Al Pastor BBQ Sauce on the chicken as you grill.
4. Place the pineapple, chicken on skewer, and onions on a platter. Top chicken with additional sauce. Garnish with cilantro. You can also serve with flour or corn tortillas. Don’t forget your glass of Renwood Zinfandel!
For a printable card, click here.