Old Vine Zin-Fig-Olive Tapenade
- 1 cup stemmed and quartered dried Black Mission Figs
- 2 cups Renwood Zinfandel
- 1 cup black olives, rinsed and pitted
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tbsp minced shallots
- 2 tsps capers, rinsed and drained
- 2 anchovy fillets (optional)
- 1 tbsp picked thyme leaves
- 1/8 tsp fennel seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a small saucepan, simmer the figs in the wine for 10 to 15 minutes. Let stand for 30 minutes to plump the figs. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the figs, remaining wine, olives, garlic, shallots, capers, anchovies, thyme, fennel seeds and orange zest until you have a thick,chunky paste. Add the olive oil, pulsing until you have a spreadable, chunky consistency. Season with Sea Salt and pepper to taste.
Store in the refrigerator in an air tight container. This tapenade can be made up to two weeks in advance. Tapenade is best served the day after it is made, allowing all flavors to mingle.
For a printable card, click here.