Lentil Walnut Salad
- 2 1/2 cups Beluga or French Green Lentils
- 5 cups water
- 2 tbsps sherry vinegar
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1/2 large yellow onion, finey diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/2 chopped Castelveltrano or green olives
- 2 tbsps walnut oil
- 1/2 bunch Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Sort and rinse the lentils. Place lentils and water in a heavy bottom soup pot. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to medium and cook just until tender, about 30 minutes. Place lentils in a colander to drain off excess water. Place cooked lentils in a large mixing bowl to cool. Once cool, toss the lentils with vinegar,Sea Salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a large sauté pan, heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil on medium-high heat. Add the diced carrots, celery and yellow onion. Sauté with a good pinch of salt until tender, about 6-8 minutes. Add the cooked vegetables to the lentils. Stir in remaining ingredients. Season to taste with sherry vinegar, Sea Salt and pepper.
Variations to add to finished lentil salad:
½ cup diced cucumbers
½ cup crumbled goat cheese
2 Tbs fresh mint, chopped
1 cup halved heirloom cherry tomatoes
For a printable card, click here.